Find us and get driving directions on this Google Map. Our postcode, like most in country areas, covers a large area and will direct you to a location half a mile south of our airfield.
Turn up and fly on our open day for just £35!
Shalbourne Gliding welcomes visitors whenever we are flying but the Open Day is the day when our priority is to talk to and fly with visitors. No need to book, just turn up. Chat to our members to find out what’s involved in learning to fly and being part of the club, watch the gliders silently take off and land. Trial Lessons will be available at the discounted Open Day price of £35. We’ll be open all day from 10.00 to late afternoon.
To pay for your flight please bring either cash or cheque as we are unable to accept card payments at the airfield.
In the Trial Lesson your instructor will take you through your first lesson in learning to fly. If the weather is co-operative and you connect with a thermal you may find yourself sharing it with one of the many local Buzzards or Red Kites.
The Trial Lesson covers a single launch and up to 15 minutes flying time (duration of the flight is dependent upon weather conditions at the time of launch and is not guaranteed). It also includes 1 month of membership of the club which means you can fly at normal club rates within that period. Waiting time will be dependent upon the demand for Trial Lessons on the day.
Any time you visit us, not only on Open Day, you will be made welcome. Please talk to our members and explore our website using the menu above to obtain further details of what we offer. Even if you do not see yourself taking up gliding as a sport our evening trial lessons, fom May to September, are popular with local businesses and youth groups. Small groups for ten to twenty evening flights @ £35 plus an optional £15 meal in our excellent, local pub’ is as good as the best ‘team-building’ offer you will get. Youth members fly at a much reduced rate and may qualify for a badge.
– There are weight and height restrictions due to glider design. Normally the student sits in the best, front, seat but, exceptionally, may have to fly in the rear seat
– Please, do not consume alcohol before your flight; the legal limit for aircrew is zero
– The student must be able to reach the controls and take instruction
– The length of your flight depends on the weather conditions. Trial Lessons on Open Day will be no more than 15 minutes
– We do not have any catering facilities but feel free to bring a picnic with you. There is an excellent pub (The Plough) and a village shop in Shalbourne
Shalbourne Gliding is a not for profit Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC). Whilst registered as a Limited Company to protect its unpaid, volunteer Directors from liability, its purpose is to promote gliding. In particular, to maintain and expand membership of the club and thus continue to occupy Rivar Hill Airfield, arguably the best airfield (~1.4km 00/18) in North Wiltshire.